It took a week for the printer to get to El Salvador, which was a feat in itself and about 2 days, made up of a few minutes here and there, in between lessons and end of year activities, to get things going.
Our first calibration attempt failed and the first printout was messy, probably due to the quality selected and the calibration having failed! Perhaps the most challenging aspect of setting it up was getting the filament to catch. After reading numerous forums and trying things out based on advice, I decided to give it an gentle nudge while the extruder was trying to engage it. Finally, it worked!
I am presently trying a slightly different model at a higher quality to see what it can do. The XYZ is a wonderful not so little machine and XYZ website is very useful. I would strongly recommend the beginner tutorials. They are quick, to the point and very helpful for noobs like us.
I can't keep my eyes off of it. I find myself entranced, watching it create its little model. It is like watching XYZ TV.
I will upload a shot of the final model as soon as it is done. Which according to the screen should be in about 55 minutes time.
Here are the two first attempts. The improvement is quite noticeable.
The next step is to calibrate it tomorrow and try again.